LIVING HISTORY INFORMATION- TUSCUMBIA, FLORENCE
April 11- THURSDAY EVENTS. Re-enactors camp on the Bluff in Sheffield.
6PM Claunch Café in Spring Park. Private meal served to re-enactors and event workers. Meeting to check final details.
SATURDAY, June 6
- 10 – 12 AM. Muscle Shoals City Hall, 2010 E. Avalon. War of 1812 Speakers.
- Robert Perry, Chickasaw Elder with 1812 arrows, Lanny Perry on 1812 ancestors, Keith Willingham on firing 1812 rifle.
FRIDAY, June 12
- 9-5 PM: Sheffield Encampment of Soldiers, Civilians and Indians. Welcome by Mayor Ian Sanford. Alabama Forestry Service will dedicate a sign on the historic site. Richard Sheridan tells the rich history of the area. Educational events to follow. Period Crafters on site. Concessions offered by Sheffield Parks & Recreation.
- 2PM: Memorial honoring the War of 1812 Veterans on the front lawn of Colbert County Court House, Tuscumbia with the American Legion, re-enactor soldiers, Uriah Blue’s Indians and Freemen of Color. Recognize Student Essay Contest Winners.
- 5PM: Texas Christian Univ. Professor Gene Smith will speak on the Freemen of Color Soldiers in the War of 1812.
SATURDAY, June 13 (Locust Hill available 9AM to 12 PM)
- 10:00AM: Florence-Lauderdale Tourism and Visitor Center. Welcome by Florence Mayor Mickey Haddock and NTPA President Dick Jordan.
- 10:30 – 12:00AM. General John Coffee speech. Native American Circle. Speakers: NTPA Bryant Boswell and Tony Turnbow.
- 5:00 PM. Andrew Jackson arrives Locust by horse-drawn carriage.
- 5:30-6 PM at Locust Hill. Welcome comments by Tuscumbia Mayor Pro-temp Mitchell. General Jackson speaks and dismisses troops.
- 6PM: Doors open. Appetizers served. Music by Sinclair Strings.
- 7-11PM: Dances begin called by Marty Aubuchon with music by the Booneslick Strings.
SUNDAY, 9AM June 14, Historic St. Johns Church, 300 N. Dixon St., Tuscumbia. Period 1812 church service by preacher Jeff Sinclair, music by Sinclair quartet Public invited.
FOR UPDATES, SEE FACEBOOK: Triumphant Return Celebrating a New American Spirit. www.NatchezTrace.org.
EVENT CONTACT LIST
- Local Arrangements and Chairman, Alabama Chapter NTPA: Annie Perry, 256-415-0700; firstname.lastname@example.org
- NTPA, AL History Committee: Angela Broyles, Lee Freeman. Contact: Angela Broyles, 256-762-7153, Broyles@gmail.com
- NTPA, AL Education Committee: Dr. Gayle Satchel, Jennifer Berry, Bob Perry. Contact: Bob Perry, 918-500-3467, email@example.com
- NTPA, Living History: Bryant Boswell, Tony Turnbow. For Soldiers, contact Bryant Boswell, 618-978-7317 and home: 601-845-7994, firstname.lastname@example.org. For Indians, contact either Annie or Bob Perry (see above).
- Sheffield Encampment: Keith Willingham, 256-394-2807, UncleKeith@aol.com, Bryant Boswell, 618-978-7317.
- Finances: Bob Perry, Angela Broyles, Bud Pride. Contact: Bob Perry: 918-500-3467.
- Marketing: Susann Hamlin, ColbertTourism@comcast.net, 800-244-0783, 256-383-0783.
- Florence Lauderdale Tourism
- Colbert County Tourism
- Helen Keller Foundation
- City of Tuscumbia
- City of Sheffield—Encampment site
- Sheffield Parks & Rec.—concessions, cleanup
- Poarch Creek Band of Indians
- Magnum Systems
- Allen Heat & AC
- Vulcan Materials
- Valley Credit Union
- Muscle Shoals National Heritage Assoc.
- Bluewater Publications
- City of Sheffield
- City of Muscle Shoals
- City of Florence
- Chickasaw Foundation
- Tuscumbia Utilities
- Sheffield Utilities
- O’Bryans Restaurant
- of No. Alabama Film Studies